A huge part of going back to school/work is buying stuff

A huge part of going back to school/work is buying stuff. It's a fact of life, and after five years, the Mr. is still shocked each summer when I declare I need a "back-to-school allowance." Let's face it, if I didn't have a budget, I'd spend every dime we had because it's so easy to get carried away. 

Let's say you want new book baskets in your classroom library (something I indeed bought just a couple of days ago). There are lots of different options, at many different price points, and levels of quality. I really, really, really want to splurge on book baskets from ReallyGoodStuff, but I would have been paying nearly $100 and the result? Only 24 baskets (the ones I wanted come in sets of 12, and the price per each basket comes out to about $3.35 or so). I decided I was going to look around at a few different stores. I ended up finding basket for $1.30 a piece at Big Lots, and was able to get 40 of them for just over $55! Essentially, I double what I got, and cut the price in half.

Look at the adds in the paper. Often stores have select items at amazingly low prices (some even just a PENNY) - however, check the fine print. There's usually a minimum purchase required, and a maximum quantity of each item. Once upon a time, if you showed your teacher ID, you could up the quantity, but the rules have change A LOT in the past few years, so do your homework.

Also, find out if your school has an allotment you're allowed to spend on supplies for your classroom. I'm able to buy chart paper and construction paper for the year with the funds my school provides. The answer may very well be a no, however, it's totally worth asking about. Become friends with your bookkeeper :)

It's also really easy to choose a theme a go absolutely nuts with decor items. Buying the packaged sets from school specialty stores/companies are adorable, and the quality if superb, but they're expensive! Plus, if you get tired of something, and want switch it up the following year, you're spending tons and tons of money.

0 nhận xét:

Blogger Template by Clairvo